Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thoughts on Obedience and Willingness

Abraham and Issac.

I was reading in Genesis this morning. The story of Abraham called by God to sacrifice Isaac, then Isaac willing and ready to obey. Then God stops Abraham and has the ram caught in the bushes so Isaac is not needed to be killed. Later Abraham's servant is to find a wife for Isaac, and he finds Rebecka at the well. Before he sees her his plea to God was he would ask a young lady to give him a drink from the well and she would offer to feed his camels also, then he would know it was the lady God wants for Isaac to wed.
In the reading I was struck of the sacrifice they were going to make and the willingness to go above and beyond. I am humbled and encouraged to apply this to my own life. When asked to do something, that I think is hard or difficult by God, do I as Abraham and Isaac obey no matter the cost? When I do obey as Rebecka, to give water do I want to willing do more, go beyond what was asked to bless others (all the thirsty camels too)? These were my thoughts this morning. My prayer is that I will say yes, though I know I have failed, my hope is to change and willingly sacrifice as God would call me to and willingly go above and beyond what I am asked.

Last night we had our Womens Bible study and I KNOW this is the first area that I must work on this. With my husband, if there be a sacrifice I must be willing to obey (knowing God will be there to help me). And when I am obeying my dear husband, doing it willingly and going above to honor my husband as Rebecka did for Abraham's servant. The blessing of obedience and willingness are awesome. Father help my to follow your Word and leading! Today is new day and His mercies are new every morning! How exciting it is to be in God's arms!

Rebekah at the well with Abraham's servant

1 comment:

Grandma of Many said...

Tami, you are such an awesome daughter, mother, and wife. I love you and will miss you while in Hawaii. Maybe you can fit in my suitcase, baby and all. Loved your post. I'll work on better obedience also. Love you, Mom